Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Accent

Yesterday, I read an article saying that the accent of the person influences one's credibility, actually the source of the article was Reuter.

From the first time that I started to learn English, I have familiar to the American accent English. And it made me pronouncing following American way.

But today, I had a meeting with some of my team member. Actually, my boss is American, so when I have talked with him one-to-one, I haven't realized that my English is American accent. But at the today's meeting, there was an attendee who have been in Germany and worked for several years, actually, he was in Germany when he was a child. Then I realized that his English is obviously different from our one; in accent, pronunciation, and intonation. His English was as clear as German, and the intonation was flat, like German.

Sometimes, I hear someone speaking English in Japanese intonation, bur scarcely hear that in other intonation.

Remembering the stay at Paris, I memory that Parisienne also speaks French style English.

Now I'm wondering that if the accent if English influences his credibility, which one is the most credible? And who can define it? Probably, the answer is that it depends, but most cases, American accent should be the best.

Now, in the finance perspective, the dollar continues to be weaker, and instead, Chinese or other Asian country are getting stronger. Then, the Asian accent would be more credible than American one? I don't know the answer, no one can predict it.

No comments: